The Glittery Pink Heels of an Misfortunate Rich Girl | Teen Ink

The Glittery Pink Heels of an Misfortunate Rich Girl

June 6, 2013
By nicoleann7 SILVER, North Miami Beach, Florida
nicoleann7 SILVER, North Miami Beach, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything by Oscar Wilde and Ambrose Bierce


She was always the prettiest girl. She was always the center of attention. Her life can be described as a shiny light shade of pink. Her parents were very wealthy and elderly. They didn't take the time to care for her, they hired nannies. And so, she was raised by strangers, never really feeling honest sympathy. She tried to buy hapiness to fill the empty void in her heart, but it would never last long. For her 16th birthday, she recieved a pair of bright pink glitery shoes in the mail from her father. He wouldn't fly in to actually see her. He was a busy man. She brushed the thought away, as she always did. She tried on the shoes, and felt a small spark of content inside her. It disapeared as soon as it came. She took in a deep breath, getting up and leaving the apartment. She walked down the street in her new heels, craving attention from anyone who passed by. A boy from her school walked past. He was a quiet boy. Not very special in any way, but that is what she liked about him. He wasn't special. And he never paid any attention to her. She didn't want to think about that. She wanted to brush away the idea that someone wouldn't like her. Why wouldn't they? She was pretty… What more do people want? The next day, she prepped herself to confront him. Wearing her glittery pink heels and the usual mask of make up on her face, she continuously reapplied lipstick. She constantly glanced across the classroom, waiting for a response, but she received none. She was slightly frustrated. Spraying perfume into the air and onto her cloths she again turned and waited for a reaction. Nothing. She didn't understand. Why weren't any of her methods working? She reached the zenith of frustration. After class she came up to him and asked, "What do I need to do to get your attention?" He slowly raised an eyebrow and replied " be yourself" She was stumped. He saw her confusion and asked " What do you like to do?" She again, couldn't give an answer. She didn't want to say shopping, so she had nothing. "What are you like?" Silence. " What do you care about?" Her life flashed in front of her eyes. She remembered all the things she bought every time she got hurt and every time she tried to push her feelings away. Daddy not comming on her birthday and mommy not listening to her. The emptiness inside her swelled from her stomach and grew in her throat. All the feelings she repressed inside for years exploded. Tears streamed down her eyes. No one was ever there for her. She didn't love anything and nothing ever loved her. She looked up and saw his concerned face. She felt so ashamed she ran away. She ran out the door and into the street. She just wanted to run away. Away from her feelings, away from her life. Away from the revelation that has just destroyed her life. After an hour, Her heel on her new pink shoes broke and she collapsed on the concrete. Her freshly scraped knee stung and bled. The blood ran down her legs and onto her broken shoes. She let out a loud sob and cried. The shoes, they were just like her. Beautiful on the outside, but frail and empty on the inside. She took a deep shuddering breath as she slowely got up. She took off the shoes and walked over to the nearest trash can. She threw her shoes away and walked away barefoot, searching for something to define her.

She walked and walked wherever her legs would take her. She didnt want to go to the apartment. She needed something new in her life and it wasnt there. The more she thought about what happened the more frustrated she got. She started running again. tears streaming down her cheeks as she wondered if her parents would care she was gone. It had already become dark. The streets and allies of New York City turned ominous. She stoped when she heard laughter and a dim light pour out of one of the little entrances in the village. A sign above read Greenwich Village Comedy Club. She cautiously walked down the steps, where she was greeted by a tall man in all black. He asked her if she wanted to buy a ticket, and she quietly told him she had no money. His expression softened. He looked at her running makeup and the dried blood on her knee. He sighed, and waved her inside. She was immidiatly overwhelmed by the sound of laughter and the smell of beer. There were probably about 20 audience members. She had never been to a comedy club before, and was bewildered. She saw the bathroom sign and decided to start there. She locked the tiny room and leaned against the door. She took a deep breath. She couldn't believe she was here. Alone. At night. At a sketchy comedy club. She thought of her bed at home. Then she scowled at herself, thinking that she would rather sleep on a cold floor than to go back to her old life. She pulled out a paper towel and cleaned her make up and knee. When she finished, she cautiously opened the door. A wave of laughter arose that was so suprising she flinched. She again peeked out the door, and slowely closed it behind her. She stood there, watching the comedian. He was young. Early twenties she supposed. he had brown messy hair and brown eyes. He was casually dressed, plaid shirt and jeans. He hopped from topic to topic, his smile not faltering once. He delivered jokes with such ease it would seem he was born to be a comedian. She cracked a few smiles, trying to distract herself from thinking about how crazy what she was doing was. She could have sworn he was looking at her. very Descritly, but every dozen seconds his eyes traveled to hers and then quickly dropped down. After half an hour, the show ended. The lights turned on and everyone scrambled to get their belongings and get out the door. She wasn't sure what the protocall was in this situation, so she stayed, nailed to her position aggainst the bathroom door. The last to go were the staff and the comedians. A sweet elderly lady who worked as a waitress asked her if she was okay. She nodded to the woman with a shy smile and said yes. The lady passed just as the comedian came up to her, and asked her the same question. She again replied yes, but he wasnt convinced. He asked about her knee, and she replied that she fell. He noticed her hands wrapped around her arms and asked her if she was cold. She said no, but he insisted and wraped his large leather jacket around her. She protested, but once the warm comforting jacket was on her she couldnt refuse it. He took the backpack off his back and pulled out a pair of large sandals. Good thing im on the swim team huh? He asked as he dropped them down and gestured for her to put them on. He introduced himself, and told her he was a college student at NYU. He then asked her where she lived and where she was going. She sighed and replied no where. He asked her if she needed a place to stay. Her hesitation gave her helplessness away. He told her he had an empty bed, since his roommate transfered. He offered her a bite to eat and to spend the night. She didn't know what to say. She silently looked at him. He took her hand and led her out. She quietly thanked him as they walked out the door. For the first time in years she felt seccure. They disapeared into the streets of New York like shadows in the night.


The author's comments:
I wasn't sure if to include the second part or not, I usually don't like romance but I felt the first half was too short.


Money doesn't fix problems, it only changes them.