Can't Promise | Teen Ink

Can't Promise

July 23, 2013
By raeee GOLD, Walla Walla, Georgia
raeee GOLD, Walla Walla, Georgia
15 articles 3 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Would she hear me if I called her name? Would she hold me if she knew my shame? Would she even love me if I was to blame?" -Favourite poem ever♥


She stared at the blue eyes in front of her. It wasn't the first time she had faced this predicament, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. She wasn't sure if it was the love she felt for the man of another country, or if she was only fooling herself due to his undoubted interest and courting.

She giggled as his fingers gently tickled her cheek, and she looked up at him. His mouth was curled up into a grin. His brunette hair shone under the setting sun, and she felt the twinge in her heart of regret. He leaned down gently, and kissed her awaiting mouth.

Within moments they were entangled in each other as they stood there, the sun sinking lower and lower behind the clouds. The fact that this was so wrong in so many ways only made her feel as if it was right. She caressed his cheek as the kiss began to intensify, and within second he had lifted her off the ground, kissing her more and more passionately with every passing moment.

They slowly disentangled themselves from each other and he reached for her, his hand slowly tracing the features of her face as he stared at the immense beauty she bestowed in the moonlight. It wasn't enough that he was in love with her, but he knew he would soon tire of her. He also knew that she was split, the want of the forbidden fruit in which he was considered, and the lover in which she had many happy moments with.

He smiled as he traced her face with his finger tips and leaned down to kiss her again. As his lips met hers, she suddenly pulled away and looked at him. "We can't unless I know you love me..." she whispered as she looked up into his ocean eyes. He froze and looked back at her.

"But you know I can't promise you that... you know the terms of the relationship..." he whispered and cupped her face with his hands, looking into her eyes. "I wish I could, but I can't..."

And with that he led her back to the car and kissed her once more before they both got in to return to their real lives, where neither was able to claim the other.