Made of Glass | Teen Ink

Made of Glass

By Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia
Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)

She deliberately trips.

And her bright red cranberry juice leaps across his chest, splattering his white button-down with a bloody smear. "Oops!" she exclaims sarcastically. Because it was his fault, after all, his foot was in her way. He glowers back at her. Then spins around. Drops his briefcase to the floor, narrowly missing her foot. "Watch it!" she growls. He doesn't respond. Just rips the shirt off, tearing along a seam and sending a button flying in his fury to get the shirt off, to get out of the sticky red smudge now leaking onto his skin. He drops the soaking fabric to the floor, and now the cream colored carpeting matches not only the stain, but also the crimson rush of anger darkening her cheeks.

The silence is deafening as he stands in his undershirt, judging her reaction. She is glass; crystal clear in her emotions, which dance cleanly across her face and body. Glass; hard as nails until cracked, yet once she is fractured, she can easily shatter. Rigid she stand, hands balled into fists until one flies up to smack his cheek, leaving both man and woman stinging with sharp pain. "Pick...it...up," she says darkly, gesturing to the shirt.

"No," he replies simply. Quietly. Then he leaves the room before she sees the tears hit his cheeks.

Because he is just as much glass as she, and he misses the way things were.

A creative writing assignment to write a fight scene with as little dialogue as possible resulted in this. My goal was to pack as much tension into the moment as possible, but keeping the spoken words to a minimum.

Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

Thank you! Your comment just made my day. :) 

SmexiLexi BRONZE, Stanton, Tennessee
1 article 1 photo 9 comments

"When one door closes, don't just stand there trying to pry it open. Move on to the next open door and get on with your life. It sure beats bloody, cracked fingernails and broken desperation."-me

It's...amazing. I love it. I rarely add anything to my favorites, but this is definitely going to be a favorite of mine. It's so...raw-a perfect portrayal of humanity at one of its most vulnerable points. Keep writing. It's rare to come across something of this much depth and talent.

Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

That's awesome! Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

trainboy PLATINUM, Washington, Virginia

"The higher we go, the better we shall hear the voice of Christ." Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati
"You may be what ever You resolve to be." General "Stonewall" Jackson

Your mom was telling Mrs. M. and I about this project the other day and it sounded pretty interesting.  Good job!