Mister Right | Teen Ink

Mister Right

May 25, 2016
By MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I scrolled down to the bottom of my computer screen. I had been looking at my Facebook page for hours and it had not been a very positive experience. It was just a series of pictures. Each of them consisting of one of my friends posing with their boyfriend, fiancé, or husband. They all looked so happy yet, here I was sitting on my bed with my dear companion, a large bucket of mint chocolate chip ice cream. I reached the bottom of another page of perfect couples and shut down my computer. As it shut I got a glimpse of my appearance. Wow, I was a mess. My long black hair was in a messy bun and my eye liner, which had once perfectly encircled my vibrant green eyes, was now smudged and ruined. I glanced at the alarm clock beside me. It was nearly midnight and I had a long day of work tomorrow. I flicked the light switch on the wall above my head turning off the lamp beside me, plunging the room into complete darkness. I placed the computer on the empty side of my bed, and crawled under the covers. My eyes heavy with sleep, shut immediately.

The next morning, I rolled out of bed collapsing in a clump on my bedroom floor. I frantically reached up and started slapping my alarm clock trying to stop the irritating blaring. Finally, I managed to hit the snooze button. I crawled off the floor, jumped in the shower and went about my morning routine. I was running late so I decided to pick up coffee on the way to the office. I walked to the ever so famous Starbucks. Fortunately, it seemed I had beaten the morning crowd so it was a quick pick up. I grabbed my coffee from the barista’s hand and quickly turned towards the door. A split second later, I found myself on the ground, my coffee spilled across the floor beside me. A man stood above me, jumping up and down in an effort to dry his now coffee stained shirt. I could not help but laugh at the sight. He immediately stopped and looked down at me. I couldn’t see his face clearly. It was just a shadow,  until he kneeled down and offered me his hand. He had a huge goofy grin on his face stretching from ear to ear. His green eyes sparkled in the sunlight entering from the window. His long brown hair lied on his forehead just above his eyes framing his perfectly shaped face.

The barista ran with a mop to clean up the spilled coffee pushing me to the side and snapping me back into reality. I quickly turned away from the mystery man in an effort to hide my obviously red face. I took a step to the side allowing the barista to finish cleaning. I turned back to the man praying to God that he would not be freaked out by the random woman who had ran into him, then continued to stare at him. “Sorry,” I frantically squealed.

“No don’t be. I was in your way. Sorry.”
        “I’m Katie.” I put my hand out, assuming that shaking his hand would be the proper thing to do. He began to stick out his hand when suddenly he realized the coffee had not only spilled on his shirt but also on his hands. He turned and grabbed a napkin from the container on the counter beside him. In the moment he turned away I thought I saw him blush a little but I couldn’t know for sure. He apologized again and chuckled a little, looking down at his feet.
        “Oh, right. I’m Max.”
        “Well, sorry about your coffee Max. Umm… I have to go to work but, have a nice life.” Turned to walk away from the very awkward conversation. 
        “Yeah thanks. You too.” He paused for a second as I headed toward the door. He then followed me out into the sunny hot California weather.  “I… a… I’m kind of new in town and I was wondering if you happen to know how to get to the Deloitte building. I have a job interview there,” he said smiling at me and giving me an embarrassed shrug.
        I couldn’t resist returning the smile. “I guess it’s your lucky day. I actually work there.”
        “Well great!” he replied beginning to walk down the sidewalk. I burst out in laughter. He really was lost.
        “What?”
        “You’re going the wrong way!” I said between giggles. “It’s this way and we have to move fast because I’m already really late.”
        “No problem we can take my car.”
        “Bad idea. The fastest way around Los Angeles is walking, unless you want to get caught in hour long traffic jams.”
        “Alright then Miss-Know-It-All. Can you give me a second to change into the suit in my car.” I reluctantly agreed. I was already late and a couple more minutes was not going to make a big difference. Moments later we were jogging down the street. I was worried he was not going to keep up with my fast pace but as it happens, during our short run to the building I learned that he was a marathon runner as well. He had just moved to LA from New York City where he grew up. We continued to talk and with each conversation we found we had more in common. He was kind and accepting and had a wonderful sense of humor. Almost as good as mine. He was perfect; too perfect to be true.
        We ran through the front doors of the Deloitte Building stopping at the front desk. I didn’t want to leave him. I felt like I could be me around him. I was able to be my crazy, adventurous, humorous self during that short walk. It had been awhile since I could act like that. I didn’t want it to be over.
“I guess this is where we part ways.” I said hiding my disappointment. “Hopefully I’ll see you around the building.”
“Maybe we could go out for coffee sometime and this time actually drink it.” He replied with a chuckle.
“Definitely.”


The author's comments:

This is a stroy of single woman in her late twenties who meets the "perfect" man. It is suppose to portray some of the qualities that are important to have in a spouse.