The Whisperer | Teen Ink

The Whisperer

By Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut
Blue4indigo PLATINUM, Sturbridge, Connecticut

I'd rather be sorry for something that I did than for something I didn't do.
-Red Scott

The door of rotting wood creaked open as I pushed it. Taking a deep breath, I walked up the dark steps, and through the doorway. Just as I stepped into the house, the door slammed shut, the sound echoing throughout the forbidding hallways. The silence that followed throbbed in my ears. A low thud came from upstairs, making me jump. I warily studied the room ahead, made ominous by the darkness inside, before entering it. A grand piano, blanketed in dust dominated the once-grand room. Three sofas and a rocking chair were loosely placed around a grimy, glass table, chipped and cracked from all it had seen. It was too dark to distinguish anything else, but I could see that this was no haunted house; it was simply an old mansion around which senseless tongues wove fantastic tales of horror.
I approached the old piano, wanting to check whether it was well conserved. A sudden breeze raised goose bumps on my skin. Strange, there were no windows in this room, and evenings were never so chilly in July. My steps were too loud as I resumed walking, surely anyone could hear them… or anything. No, no, this is no way to think, I chided myself. But, what was that shadow in the corner? Perhaps a trick of my wildly galloping imagination, or a friend, waiting to jump out and yell “Boo!” Or, a criminal, crouching, awaiting his time. Maybe a gnome, or a ghost, come back from the world of darkness to play a sinister trick. Ha! I thought, that should be saved for Halloween! I was now close enough to the piano that I could reach out and touch it. A single note reached my ears. It wasn’t low, or high, it wasn’t loud, or quiet. But what I knew was that the source of the sound was right next to me. What, but a piano could make that sound? Plus, I was standing right next to one. And, I could swear that I saw a key pressed down, but there was no one in the room except me. Or was there?
“Welcome…” a hardly audible whisper sounding as if the one who was whispering was being choked, broke the silence right by my ear. With a small shriek, I hopped to the side. “Who… who are you?” I stuttered.
“That does not matter to you. Come here…be mine,” the whisperer continued.
“I’m leaving now. Please, I’ll go,” I whispered back, my voice failing to conceal my panic. Quickly, I started to back away, but where before was an empty doorway, was now a wooden door. There were stains on the door, dark stains. No, not stains, but dark, wet rivers. Just before the door shut, the remaining light allowed me to see dark splotches of dark liquid on the piano and previously clean sofas. Blood. The realization chilled my mind. A cold finger touched my face, and all went blank.

This is only the first part of a story I am working on.

Caramel_Apple SILVER, Yardley, Pennsylvania
The only place I thought you told when you could've left it out was when you talked about how you "warily" looked ahead, but you didn't need warily. That adverb, in my mind, could have dragged it down a bit. But also I thought that you could have done some more intense dialogue with the creeper, because to showcase some mad writing skills you could have done some action through the dialogue, because that's a great place for dialogue to convey the emotions that the main character is feeling.

Hi! You posted a comment on my story, Tree of Life, and I'm so glad you liked it. I wanted to give you some feedback on this story! I think it's a great creepy story. This isn't my style but I can appreciate it. I just think that you told us a little too much that maybe the reader could have figured out. It's not a big deal--just for the future you may want to look out for it. The teachers always tell us to show, not tell. But the adjective use was well-used, not overly so but the story was not lacking.

-Red Scott

Thanks, I plan on describing the character more later, she does not play a very important role in the begining of the story.

I'll read your stories:)

-Red Scott

Thank you very much!

AEAluvsanimals SILVER, Yorba Linda, California

"All creatures bleed the same blood. He who spills the blood of any of god's creatures, he spills the blood of man." - Private Journals , Landerath
Dragon's Milk.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."- Dumbledore
Harry Potter 1

It's a good story so far-gothic and creepy. I wonder who the whisperer is? Only one thing though, I wish I knew more about your main character. Other than that this is really good:)

PLEASE CHECK OUT MY STORIES FAMILY MATTERS AND THE POWER TO CRY! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DomClaudeFrollo GOLD, Greenville, North Carolina

"I can't help being a gorgeous fiend... it's just the card I drew."
~ Lestat

Good story so far, very compelling and properly haunting! :) I absolutely adore stories with a good gothic element. ;) I can't wait to go read the others!

-Red Scott

Thaks, there's more!

sbear406 GOLD said...
sbear406 GOLD, Summit, New Jersey

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
Read more at

wonderfully creepy!!

-Red Scott

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

czchoslovakian BRONZE, Stoney Creek, Other

"nothing is so important that you cant leave it behind"

this is really good, very detailed (an awesome thing). and i like how its not impossibly long lol

but i think you used the word dark too many times. its an easy fix, its not a huge deal or anything.

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

You're very welcome.

-Red Scott

Thanks! There are two more disappearances posted.

phoenixjv said...
Wow, that was a truly haunting tale. Quite a cliff hanger! Great job.

-Red Scott

Thank you!

Cool! Very interesting....great jo0b and I can't wait to read the next part.

-Red Scott

Thanks, there are two more parts posted, as of now!

writingchick GOLD, Huntington, Indiana

"Faith is taking another step without seeing the entire staircase."

Great, fantastic, amazing and awesome despriction!! Very very very good use of words!! Keep it up!

-Red Scott

Thank you! There is a continuation of this posted. :)

Tomorrow.maybe SILVER, Houston, Texas
This is pretty good, you have great word choice and nice voice, fascinating :)

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Ok I'll read it:)