I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

boston418 SILVER, Weymouth, Massachusetts

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Eliot

But what if you actually ARE like Miley Cyrus?  Just because someone's intrests tend to reflect the trend doesn't mean that they're not being themselves.  My little sister adores the music of all those little teeny-bopper artists, but she won't even admit it because everytime she does, she gets slammed for either being a conformist or having juvenile taste.  Lady Gaga clearly has a fascinating uniqueness about her, but I think that the author is questioning if she is truly being herself, or just whipping up a facade of fame.  I can't answer that... I don't know Lady Gaga, haha.  But I think that I would have more respect for someone who is not afraid to be themselves and mirrors Miley Cyrus than someone who is going against the crowd just to go against, and I think if Gaga is true, she won't be ashamed to open up in her music or let her hair down once in a while.  I guess only time will tell!

Lady Gaga said...

My name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga. Although you don't wanna admit, you are one of my little monsters.

Bless u

Gaga

Nancy18 said...
I couldn't agree more. Lady Gaga seems to only care about her sense of style. I mean I'm not saying that is bad at all, but a lot of my friends just look up to hear because of they way she looks. But she's a singer isn't she? Well to me she would make a great fashionista. She should design her own clothing line. Many people don't see her for her singing at all.

Don Draper said...
I couldn't agree with you any more. Kids nowadays act the way they do because they look up to people like Lady Gaga. Looks won't last forever but, no one can take away your education.  

ImaginationStation BRONZE, Amboy, Illinois

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Fantastic! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Looking through most of the comments, I would ask you to look at the response I posted somewhere on the comments section of this. People seem to think I'm condemning 'uniqueness'. I don't think I was entirely clear in my original piece. I'm not saying there's something wrong with being 'unique' AT ALL. In fact, I'm encouraging it. My issue ISN'T with her clothes or anything like that. It's the lack of substance or independent thought behind it that really irks me. There's a difference between LOOKING different and BEING different. And if you're only in it to APPEAR different, what are you trying to prove in the first place?

That said, thanks for all the criticism and positive comments. I'm fully aware of all the fallacies I have in my post...some of which are deservedly called out, some of which are generously overlooked (teehee). Thanks for reading. 

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King
We are a little weird and life is a little weird, so when we find someone who's weirdness is compatible with our own, we fall in a mutual weirdness and call it love. -Dr. Seuss

I dont think i was controdicting myself... Just saying being unique is good and she wants to show everyone that

taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

Wow, very well written. The arguments you bring up are very good and pretty interesting to think about. :)

Saphe SILVER said...
Saphe SILVER, Kansas City, Missouri

If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth the reading, or do things worth the writing. -Ben Franklin

Writing is formed mostly, if not most often, from opinions, and we as readers are allowed to agree and disagree with those opinions. But when we say "freedom of the press" and "freedom of speech," it means that we have the right to voice those opinions. It also means that we are very much allowed to strongly disagree with them. But to go about insulting one another? That is not how that works. Everyone who disagrees with this piece has their point, and so does everyone who agrees. There is a right and wrong way to criticize. I don't just speak in defense of a random stranger who has written a very good yet controversy-sparking piece, but on behalf of all young writers and their right to voice opinions, was it really necessary to insult this person?

Saphe SILVER said...
Saphe SILVER, Kansas City, Missouri

What can I say that hasn't been said (positively)? It's very well written, you state your opinions and support them, and there is reason to believe that Lady Gaga is what she is: the fame monster. Great job and great writing!

abbys said...
Excellent job. You were concise and to the point, and a great point at that. Personally, I think a lot of the people defending this woman are full of themselves. They say that "it's art" or "she's confident" or "originality!". OK, all valid things, but (1) not everyone likes all art, (2) confidence does not need to expressed while wearing a dress made out of meat, and (3) guys, the author's right, if we all try to outdo each other in originality, we're all just trying to conform to a more abstract social standard. Plus, I know the topic is controversial, but our comments should really be about HER WORK, not the artist so much. Whether or not we agree with her, we have to give her credit for her writing skills, instead of ignoring them to bash her opinion. This isn't Facebook, so stop trying to out-nasty each other and "express yourselves", because honestly, it looks pathetic even from here.

Shellywhat93 said...
Yah your right ! everyone needs to know that they're different and be who they really are. however, if everyone is different doesn't that mean we are all the same? Aren't you contridicting yourself when you saying she's trying to be different when really she just can't accept herself. We really shouldn't aim to be unique, but rather to be who we are and accept it.

WALL-E DIAMOND said...
WALL-E DIAMOND, Portland, Oregon
Thank you for sharing your views. I thought this was a wonderful essay, and I must say I agree with your points. And to the people criticizing the author's opinions... Would you want someone to say that about your writing? 

AngelP GOLD said...
AngelP GOLD, Miami Beach, Florida

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

Hmm.... I can't tell if this is a troll or if this is really her.

I can in fact imagine her being on this site.

If you are a troll, successful troll is successful.

If not, sorry for calling you a troll. Before you get offended that I called you ugly, please look up the meaning of the word in Urban Dictionary.

That is all.

Jennypig GOLD said...
Jennypig GOLD, Winslow, Maine

Get living or get dying -Stepen King

Lady gaga is one of the most confident people in the world, to show this she dresses like she feels. She doesnt want to be held back by normal clothes and wants her fans to think it is ok to be different. She doesnt want every girl to look at miley cyrus and be like her she wants some people who dare to be different. She is telling young women how to be unqiue and loved for it. Not to mention she is changing the way we veiw music. She has completly changed what some people think of music. She isnt changing herself because that is the only way to get attention she is changing herself to fit her personality. Why do we get new clothes or a hair cut? to stay in fashion. why does she look so weird? it almost seems as a silent protest to be different dont follow the trend. Dont aim to be the next miley cyrus. Be you. Be true. Be different!

fandoms_for_life SILVER, Germantown, Maryland

Lady Gaga is okay, I mean I like her songs, but herself as a person is okay. The thing I really admire about her (the other only thing actually)is that she fights for what she believes in, even though everyone else in the world thinks she's strange for doing it. She doesn't care a hoot on what people say and just fights for things she thinks is right.

You also have to consider the fact that she is unique and has a personality that has affected everyone in some way. Just like with Justin Bieber. My english teacher said when my class was at the book fair, "Ah, the Bieber book. Nobody likes him, but then again, they all touch the Bieber book..." That's sort of what's going on now with Lady Gaga.

Hope you don't take this comment the wrong way..I'm just expressing my opinion on her.

Good entry though :)

PurpleFeather BRONZE, Canton, Connecticut

"The pen is mightier than the sword." - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

OMW, me too! Me and my mom have been saying this for the past year and it is such a relief to hear that we are not the only people with the ability to THINK FOR THEMSELVES left on this palnet!

I think that this was a very inappropiate comment. These boards are meant to criticize the WRITING, not degraade and talk harshly about the writer themselves.

And that's your point of view. That's fine. But that doesn't make some of what jen920 said wrong. Our society IS losing sight of what it means to be yourself. Okay, maybe the image Lady Gag portrays IS who she really is. But that doesn't mean that that person is someone people should strive to be like. She does only seem to talk about sex and drinks and money in her lyrics. America needs to ask itself, Is that really who I want to be? I don't think she's inspiring, I think she's just yet another celebrity who is being idolized by people who go along with everything they see without thought. I don't like Lady Gaga, either, and I am SO relieved to finally realize that someone feels the same way. THANK YOU, jen, for writing this article!

ORIGINALITY.

Have you ever herd of that?..

i dont think there a thing called normal.

be your own person..thats who shes being..if she was like everyone else there wouldnt be a Lady Gaga!

I dont think yall know creativity and originality is.

Lady Gaga is Happy being her awesome self..she wouldnt be happy if she was every  kesha, katy perry or Brittany Spears.

I am In love with Lady Gaga..she inspires people to be thereselves!

Whats so Wrong with that?

Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California

If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.

I totally agree. I didn't even know who she was until late last year. When I heard about her, I looked her up and was shocked by what I found. Then I listened to one of her songs. I didn't listen to the whole thing, because I was shocked by what I heard.

Thanks for writing such a great article.